Scott's Idaho® Potatoes
You may call them funeral potatoes or party potatoes but in our house, they are “Scott’s Potatoes”! And now I’ve turned an hour+ non-vegan family recipe into a 30-minute vegan meal with tofu and plant-sourced versions of sour cream, cheese and soup and use my two favorite appliances: an Instant Pot (pressure cooker) and an air fryer!
- 1 1/2 pound shredded Idaho® potatoes, divided 1 lb and 1/2 lb
- 1/4 cup onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, melted
- 1 cup vegan cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup silken extra-firm tofu, about 6.3 ounces
- 3/4 cup vegan creamy mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream, about 4 ounces
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Salt to taste, optional
For the “chips”
- 1/2 pound shredded Idaho® potatoes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon potato starch
- Add 2 cups of water to a 6-or 8-quart multicooker, Instant Pot or other type of pressure cooker. Place a trivet in the water. Sauté on medium (to bring the water to a boil).
- Wash the potatoes - don't peel them! – and shred in a food processor. Rinse and drain the shredded potatoes and pat dry with a tea or paper towel. Place 1 pound in a casserole dish that fits in the pressure cooker (6- or 8-quart) and air fryer (3.7- or 5.8-qt), approximately 3 x 7.5 x 3 inches. Set the remaining half pound of shredded potatoes aside in a medium bowl.
- Chop the onion and add to the potatoes. Add the vegan cheese and pour the melted vegan butter over the potatoes and onion.
- In a food processor or blender, puree the tofu, sour cream and mushroom soup for 20 to 30 seconds. Pour over the potatoes. Add black pepper.
- Cover the casserole dish with foil and gently place onto the trivet in the pressure cooker. Cover and set for 20 minutes on high pressure (use a natural release - releasing after 15 minutes).
- While the casserole is cooking, prepare the "chips."
- Preheat the air fryer to 360°F for 3 minutes.
- Add the oil, paprika, salt and potato starch to the remaining potatoes and mix until well coated. Transfer to the air fryer and cook for 5 minutes at 360°F. Transfer to a cutting board and chop the crispy shreds into crumbs.
- Once pressure has been released, carefully remove the pan from the pot. Uncover and spread the potato "chips" / crumbs over the top. Transfer the pan to the air fryer and cook for 5 minutes at 400°F.