Sausages, Onions, Idaho® Potatoes, Peppers and Green Beans
A big rustic pile of delicious comfort food that also happens to be a whole balanced meal in one pot! It’s the perfect weeknight dinner to satisfy all.
- 2 ½ pounds Idaho® Yukon Gold or Yellow Finn potatoes, scrubbed, cut into bite-sized chunks.
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 precooked spicy sausages of your choice (12 ounces) cut crosswise into ¼ inch slices
- 2 bell peppers, any color, seeds and ribs removed, cut into ½ inch strips
- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled, halved, and cut into ½ inch slices
- ¾ pound fresh green beans (about 4 handfuls), washed, root ends trimmed off
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon Aleppo pepper (or substitute fresh ground black pepper)
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses (or substitute balsamic vinegar)
- Put the potatoes into a large pot, and cover with water by 2 inches. Stir in a teaspoon of salt. Set the pot over high heat. As soon as it comes to a boil, lower to a gentle boil and set your timer for 10 minutes, until potatoes are cooked but not falling apart. Drain and set aside.
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausages and cook, flipping occasionally, until browned on both sides, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- Put an additional tablespoon of oil in the skillet. Add the onions and peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are softened and browned in spots, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat but keep on the stove. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Fill a medium pot halfway with water and bring to a boil. Drop the green beans in to blanch them. Once the water returns to boil, set the timer for 2 minutes. Drain and plunge into cold water to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
- Add the sausages, green beans and potatoes to the skillet with the onions and peppers. Drizzle 3 tablespoons olive oil and 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses (or balsamic) on top. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and ¾ teaspoon pepper. Toss everything gently to combine, over a medium flame, until heated through. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Divide among 5 bowls or plates. Enjoy!
Time Saving Tip: You can peel and cut the potatoes up to 24 hours in advance if you store them – completely immersed in water with a dash of lemon juice - in a covered bowl or container in the fridge. They won’t turn brown and they’ll be fresh and ready to boil when you’re ready to cook!