Scalloped Root Vegetable Casserole
This Scalloped Root Vegetable Casserole is beautiful and delicious. Loaded with a variety of Idaho® potatoes, turnips, and cheese, this is a crowd pleaser.
- 4 large russet Idaho® potatoes, sliced thin, approximately ⅛ inch
- 3 red Idaho® potatoes, sliced thin, approximately ⅛ inch
- 2 sweet potatoes, sliced thin, approximately ⅛ inch
- 3 turnips, sliced thin, approximately ⅛ inch
- ½ tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 packages of whipped chive cream cheese
- 16 oz. heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoon of salt, more to taste
- Grated Parmesan and diced chives for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Slice the potatoes and turnips and set aside in a large bowl.
- In a medium, non-stick skillet, heat 1/2 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add the diced onions and garlic, sauté until translucent. Add the cream cheese, heavy cream, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and stir until smooth. Turn off heat.
- Spray a 9x13 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Put half of the potatoes and turnips into a separate large bowl. Slowly add ⅓ the cream mixture into the bowl with the potatoes and turnips until coated well.
- Using your hands place the coated potato and turnip slices into the baking pan, vertically. Make sure the slices are close together. Add another ⅓ of the cream mixture to the remaining potatoes and turnips, coat well. Layer them into the baking dish. Once all the slices are in the baking pan, pour the remainder of cream mixture into the baking pan.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and place in the oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes remove the foil and bake for an additional 40 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle on parmesan cheese and bake for an additional 15 - 20 minutes. Sprinkle on chives right before serving if desired.