Bird’s Nest Potato and Egg Cups
These “Bird’s Nest” Potato and Egg Cups use only 5 ingredients (plus salt and pepper) and are SO easy to make! This vegetarian recipe is an easy way to feed a crowd - it’s perfect for Easter morning.
Read Elizabeth's full post here.
- 2 russet Idaho® potatoes
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 eggs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh chopped parsley for garnish, optional
- Use a fork to pierce the skin of the potatoes. Bake at 425°F directly on the oven rack until you can easily pierce them with a knife, approximately 45 minutes.
- Allow potatoes to cool, cut in half, and scoop potato into a medium bowl.
- Meanwhile, sauté onion in olive oil until browned and soft. Turn off heat and melt the butter into the onions.
- Grease 6 cups of a muffin pan with olive oil.
- Mash potatoes with onion mixture together with salt and pepper to taste.
- Press potato mixture into the prepared 6 muffin cups, creating an indentation in each and making sure the potatoes are all the way up to the top of the cups.
- Roast for 30 minutes, or until potato cups are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and crack an egg into each cup.
- Roast until eggs are set- approximately 12 minutes for a runny yolk and 15 for a set yolk.
- Allow to cool for at least 5 minutes, remove carefully from muffin pan with a fork or thin spatula.
- Garnish with parsley and extra salt and pepper, if desired.
Time Saving Tip: Bake the potatoes the day before and store whole in the refrigerator until you are ready to make the nests.