Herbed Idaho® Potatoes Anna
- 6-7 medium russet Idaho® potatoes, peeled
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 sprigs rosemary, stem removed, roughly chopped
- 3 sprigs thyme, stem removed, roughly chopped
- 6 ounces Gruyere cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit the bottom of a round baking dish (it should be at least 4 inches tall). Brush the bottom of your baking dish with melted butter, then press the parchment on top. Brush it with additional butter. Set aside.
- Use a mandoline slicer to slice the potatoes into thin (1/8 in) circles.
- Assemble a work station with your potatoes, melted butter, the chopped herbs, shredded cheese, and salt and pepper. Start by putting a slice of potato in the center of the baking dish then layer the potatoes over top of it in concentric circles, all the way out to the edge. Brush with butter then sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper, herbs, and cheese. Repeat with remaining layers until no potatoes remain.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil (butter it if it's touching the top of the potatoes) and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover the dish, then bake for an additional 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are golden.
- Remove the pan from the oven and run a knife around the outside of the pan. Place a large plate on top of the casserole dish then carefully invert the potatoes onto the plate. If desired, you can sprinkle the top with a final layer of cheese and place the plate back in the oven and broil for 3-4 minutes to brown the top. Garnish with fresh herbs. Serve in slices, like a pie.