Rustic Idaho® Potato Onion Soup
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced (8 ounces total)
- 4 cups reduced sodium beef or vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 4 cups frozen shredded Idaho® hash browns
- 4 thin slices crusty bread, lightly toasted
- 4 tablespoons grated Gruyere or mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook for 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until browned on edges.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan combine the broth, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and thyme and bring to a boil over high heat. Boil 8-10 minutes or until reduced to 3 cups. Add the hash browns and onions, return to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Divide the soup into 4 bowls, topping each with 1 slice of toasted bread and 1 tablespoon of cheese.
Cook’s Tip: For variation, lightly toast the bread in the broiler (being careful not to burn). Top each slice with cheese and place under broiler again until slightly melted; place on top of soup.