Potato Pancakes 3 Ways
- 6 cups chilled leftover mashed potatoes
- A) 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese + 1/3 cup of bacon
- B) 2/3 cup of shredded cabbage + 1/3 cup of chorizo
- C) 2/3 cup pinto beans + green chilies + 1/3 cup of Cilantro
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup all-purpose flour for dusting
- grape seed oil, for pan-frying
- In a large bowl, stir together 2 cups of mashed potatoes, 1 egg lightly beaten and 3 tablespoons flour until combined. Then add your variety (A, B, or C) of ingredients. Using your hands, roll each portion into a palm-sized ball, and then flatten it into a pancake about a ½-inch-thick. Repeat this process for each variety (A, B, C) using a separate bowl.
- Place the remaining ½ cup of flour in a shallow dish and carefully dredge each pancake in the flour.
- Heat 3 to 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Fry the pancakes, in batches, until they're golden brown and crispy on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes. Add more oil to the pan as needed between batches. (Do not overcrowd the pan and do not flip the pancakes too soon or they won't develop a crisp crust.) Transfer the pancakes to a paper towel-lined plate and serve immediately.