- 6 Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice (6 cups)
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 2 Tbsp butter, plus 4 Thsp melted
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp minced fresh chives
- 1 tsp hot chili sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup half and half
- 2 cups crushed potato chips (6 ounces)
- 1/4 cup crushed cracker crumbs
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the diced potatoes, lower the heat to medium, and cook until the potatoes are very soft, about 10 minutes. While the potatoes are cooking, briefly sauté the garlic and onion in the 2 tablespoons of butter. Put the garlic and onion, the egg, chives, chili sauce, salt, and half and half in a mixing bowl. When the potatoes are soft, drain quickly and briefly in a colander and add the warm potatoes immediately to the mixing bowl. Mix all the ingredients together. The potatoes will remain a bit lumpy. Set aside to cool for 15 niinutcs.
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- When the potato mixture is cool, form it into 12 loose cakes. Combine the crushed potato chips and crackers and gently toss each cake in the crumbs. Refrigerate the cakes. Just before serving, put the cakes on a buttered baking sheet, drizzle with the melted butter, and bake for 8 minutes to reheat and crisp the outside.