Curried Idaho® Potato Latkes
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 1/2 pounds Idaho Potatoes, peeled*
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons curry powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mango chutney
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, using a potato masher or the back of a wooden spoon, mash the thawed peas. Grate the potatoes into the bowl with the peas. Add cornmeal, flour, 1 teaspoon of the curry powder, 3/4 teaspoon of the salt, the turmeric and the pepper. Stir to combine; add egg and mix until well combined.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of curry powder, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt, the yogurt, chutney and lemon juice. Refrigerate until serving time.
- In a large, heavy, non-stick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Using a tablespoon, spoon potato mixture into skillet, using about 2 tablespoons per pancake. (Skillet should hold about 4 pancakes at a time.) Flatten mixture slightly with a spatula. Cook pancakes 4 minutes, then flip and cook another 4 minutes or until golden brown, crisp and cooked through.
- Remove pancakes from the skillet, then transfer them to a serving platter and keep warm in a 300° F oven until serving.
- Cook remaining pancakes in batches, using 1 tablespoon oil in the skillet for each batch. Serve pancakes with a dollop of the chutney-yogurt sauce.
- Time Saving Tip: *A 4-ounce package of skillet hash browns may be substituted for the fresh potatoes. Follow package directions for rehydrating the potatoes, then drain them and proceed with the recipe, beginning by adding the mashed peas, etc.