Nordic Spring Ahi with Potatoes
Coriander crusted ahi with baby Idaho® potatoes, dill sauce and yogurt is a vibrant flavorful main course, perfect for spring.
- 8 ounces baby Idaho® potatoes (red, white, purple, yellow or a mix)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup light olive oil
- 2 ounces baby spinach (two big handfuls)
- 1 ounce dill (tender stems ok), chopped
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1-2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, lightly crushed
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, whole
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon course ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons coconut or vegetable oil
- 8 ounces ahi
- Garnish with diluted plain Greek yogurt or sour cream (see notes), fresh dill and chive blossoms
- Place potatoes in a small pot, cover with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, turn the heat down and simmer until fork-tender, about 15-25 minutes depending on size.
- To make the dill sauce place water, olive oil and spinach in a blender and blend. Add dill, scallion, and salt and blend until smooth. Taste, adjust salt if needed, and add fresh lemon juice. Place in a small pot, set aside.
- Place seeds, salt, and pepper on a small plate and mix well.
- Coat all sides of ahi with the seed/salt mixture, pressing seeds in firmly.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a cast-iron skillet until hot and just smoking.
- Place ahi gently in the skillet and cover partially if seeds begin to spatter.
- Sear on very hot heat, 1-2 minutes, until it develops a nice golden brown crust. Turn over, and cook the other side, just 1 minute or so. You want the inside to stay rare.
- Heat the small pot of green dill sauce over low heat, gently warming, careful not to overheat, or it may lose its vibrant color.
- Place a circle of green dill sauce in the middle of the place. Slice potatoes and place them over the green sauce. Slice the ahi with a very sharp knife and place atop the potato slices. Garnish the plate with the diluted yogurt, sprigs of fresh dill and chive blossoms.
To make diluted yogurt, place equal parts plain yogurt (or sour cream) and water in a small bowl and stir with a fork until smooth – 2 to 3 tablespoons of each.