Corn and Potato Mini Pancakes with Salsa
- 2 cups mashed Idaho potatoes (prepared according to package directions using half of a 22 oz. bag frozen Idaho mashed potatoes)
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels (thawed) or cooked corn cut off the ear
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup canola oil (for frying)
- For the Salsa
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 4 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine potatoes, corn and egg; mix well with a spoon.
- Place bread crumbs in a shallow bowl. Using clean hands, form mixture into 1 1/2inch diameter patties; dip each pattie in bread crumbs, coating both sides.
- Over medium heat, in a large non-stick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the canola oil until hot. Fry the patties, a few at a time, for 2 minutes, or until golden brown on the bottom; flip and cook another 2 minutes on the second side. (If flatter, more crispy cakes are desired, flatten cakes while cooking with a metal spatula).
- Transfer finished cakes to a baking sheet and keep in a warm oven (200 degrees) until all cakes are cooked. Transfer cakes to a serving platter and serve with salsa, if desired.