Italian Style Idaho® Potato Soup
- 6 small Idaho® potatoes, peeled & diced
- ¼ pound pancetta, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, minced
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Add pancetta pieces to a large soup pot medium heat and cook until crisp and fat is rendered. Remove from the pot and set it aside.
- Return the heat to medium-high and add the garlic, onions, carrots, and celery. Stir and cook for 2 minutes, then add the diced potatoes. Cook for 5 additional minutes, seasoning with salt, pepper.
- Pour in the broth and bring to a gentle boil. Cook for 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender. Whisk together the flour and the milk and pour into the soup. Allow the soup to cook for another 5 minutes.
- Blend in batches in a blender/food process until completely smooth. Stir in cream, parmesan, basil and pancetta, reserving a little for garnish.
- Serve in bowls garnished with basil, cheese and crisp pancetta pieces.
Yield: 10 servings
Serving Size: one bowl
Sodium: 1191 mg
Fat: 12 g
Protein: 8 g
Cholesterol: 28 mg