Spicy Idaho® Potato Soup with Kale and Sausage
- 2 pounds Idaho® Russet potatoes cut into 1" to ½" chunks, skin left on
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound hot Italian chicken sausages
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms, sliced
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 10 cups loosely packed Tuscan (lacinato) kale, stemmed and cut into 1" strips ( about 1 bunch)
- 8 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- In a large stock pot, add the water and sausages, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, turning regularly to ensure even cooking.
- Once the water evaporates (about 10 minutes), add in the extra virgin olive oil, and brown the sausages for 7-10 minutes more. Reserve to a plate to cool.
- Turn the heat down to medium, and add the diced onion, cooking until just translucent, 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook 5 minutes more.
- Add the salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes, mixing to combine, and then add in the kale, tossing until just wilted, about 1-2 minutes.
- When the cooked sausages are cool enough to handle, cut on the bias into ¼" rounds. Add them to the pot along with the potatoes and vegetable stock. Bring up to a boil, then turn the heat down to simmer, and cover. Cook for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Taste to see if the soup is seasoned well, and add more salt/pepper if necessary.