Instant Pot Idaho® Potato Clam Chowder
- 3 medium Idaho® Russet Potatoes, peeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 4 strips smoked bacon, diced
- 1 cup diced onions
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 ounces canned clams, drained
- 1 cup clam juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 ribs of celery, diced
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Chop potatoes into 1-inch chunks. Soak them in cold water and set aside.
- Turn the Instant Pot on to the sauté function. Add 1/2 tablespoon olive oil to the pot.
- Transfer the diced bacon to the Instant Pot and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Carefully transfer the cooked bacon to a plate, leaving the rendered bacon fat in the pot.
- Add another 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil and the diced onions. Cook the onions for 3 minutes and then add the garlic. Sauté everything for another minute, stirring occasionally.
- Drain the potatoes and add them to the Instant Pot. Add the clams, clam juice, water, thyme and salt. Secure the lid on the pot and cook everything on high for 5 minutes.
- Manually release the pressure by moving the valve to venting. Remove the lid and turn switch to the sauté function once again.
- Add the cooked bacon, diced celery, cream and milk. Bring everything to boil.
- In a small bowl, add the flour. Ladle about 3/4 cup of the liquid from the soup and transfer it to the bowl. Using a fork, stir the flour and liquid together until you get a thick paste. Scrape the thick paste into the Instant Pot and stir to incorporate with the rest of the soup.
- Let the soup simmer for about 4 minutes and turn off the Instant Pot.
- Serve the soup in bowls. Garnish with black pepper, parsley and crackers, if desired.