Massaman Curry Idaho® Potato Salad (aka Peanutty Thai Curry Idaho® Potato Salad)
- 2 pounds Idaho® potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3/4 cup mayo
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar or lightly packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari sauce
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons fresh-grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (more or less to taste), plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup unsalted peanuts, toasted and chopped
- 2 scallions, green and white parts, thinly sliced
- Add the potatoes to a medium saucepan and cover them with cold water by 2 to 3 inches. Put a lid on the saucepan and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down so it doesn’t boil over, and then cook with the lid ajar until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 5 to 7 minutes. Drain the potatoes and cool a few minutes.
- Whisk together the mayo, vinegar, red curry paste, coconut sugar, soy sauce, fish sauce, ginger, garlic, and red pepper flakes in a large bowl.
- Gently stir the potatoes into the dressing, and stir in all but 1 tablespoon of the peanuts and scallion.
- Cover the potato salad and chill in the fridge for 2 hours (or up to 2 days).
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Sprinkle on a little crushed red pepper flakes along with the reserved 1 tablespoon of peanuts and scallion, and serve chilled.
Tip: The estimated nutritional information was calculated using regular mayo; you can use low-fat mayo if that’s your preference.