Idaho® Potato Wrapped Sea Scallops on Potato "Risotto" with Red Wine Drizzle
- 2 cups red table wine
- 8 U10 dry sea scallops
- 1 Idaho® russet potato
- 1/2 cup applewood smoked bacon, diced small
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, diced small
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup Yukon Gold Idaho® Potatoes, peeled and 1/8-inch diced (do not rinse)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- Olive oil, for cooking
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
Red Wine Drizzle
- Place red wine in a small saucepan and reduce by half.
- Add corn syrup and reduce.
- Set aside, cool.
- In a small pot or sauté pan, render bacon with 1 teaspoon olive oil, until cooked.
- Add onion, garlic and Yukon Gold potatoes.
- Stir until incorporated.
- Add chicken stock, half at a time, and stir until stock is absorbed and potatoes are cooked and starchy.
- Add heavy cream, butter and Parmesan cheese.
- Continue stirring and finish with parsley, salt and black pepper.
- Reserve for plating.
- Peel russet potato (do not rinse) and place on Japanese vegetable slicer.
- Spin potato into long strands.
- Season each scallop with salt and pepper and wrap with potato strands.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in non-stick sauté pan.
- Place scallops in pan, cooking to a golden brown on both sides.
- Place in 375°F oven for 3-5 minutes, or until done.
- Serve scallops over potato risotto, with a drizzle of the red wine syrup.