Idaho® Potato Volcano
- For Pastry Dough
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 6 ounces reduced fat cream cheese (can use regular cream cheese as well), softened
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 cups unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- For Filling
- 1 tablespoon Gruyere cheese (shredded)
- 1 tablespoon caramelized onions
- 2 tablespoons shredded beef
- 2" x 2" square scalloped potatoes
- In mixer with paddle attachment, mix butter and cream cheese until blended. Add egg and water and mix.
- Sift flour and salt in medium bowl. Add flour and salt to mixture until just combined. Dough will be slightly tacky.
- Divide into two disks and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Remove one disk and divide into 6 portions. Form each portion into smaller disks and roll out to form a circle, approximately 7 inches in diameter. Circles can be stacked with parchment paper between each layer until ready for filling.
- Repeat with second disk.
- Place filling ingredients onto the dough in the following order:
- Gruyere cheese
- Caramelized onions
- Shredded beef
- " x 2" square scalloped potatoes.
- Pull up the dough around the potatoes, pinching the bottom to seal.
- Flip the ball over and place on a parchment covered sheet pan. Egg wash and cut an X in the top.
- Sprinkle with Gruyere cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for 23 minutes, until golden brown and hot in the middle.
- You could alter the recipe by substituting something (bacon instead of beef, a different kind of cheese, etc).
- Serve with Mornay and Red Pepper Coulis sauce.
- Place all of the cream and the wine in a heavy bottom pan, bring to a simmer, and then thicken by adding roux until desired thickness.
- Slowly add the Gruyere cheese, whisking constantly to prevent scorching.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Note: Roux is equal parts flour and melted butter, mixed and cooked for a small amount of time, cooled and then added to liquids to thicken.
- Place all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
Yield: 12 servings