Idaho® Potato Rainbow Latkes
- 2 pounds Idaho® potatoes, scrubbed (do not peel)
- 1 large carrot, peeled
- 1 large parsnip, peeled
- 1 medium golden beet, peeled
- 3 green onions, white and green parts, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Grapeseed or canola oil, for frying
- Applesauce and/or sour cream, for serving
- Grate the potatoes, carrot, parsnip and golden beet into a large mixing bowl. Add the chopped green onions and stir to combine. Add the egg and stir again. Sprinkle the flour and salt over the grated vegetables and mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 300° F.
- In a large, heavy skillet (non-stick or cast iron), heat about 2 Tablespoons of the oil over medium heat. Spoon in about 2 Tablespoons of the potato mixture per pancake, using the back of your spoon to flatten the pancakes out. Cook about 3 minutes or until the pancakes are golden brown on the bottom. Flip them and cook another 3 or 4 minutes, until both sides are golden brown, the edges are crisp, and the pancakes are cooked through.
- Put the cooked pancakes on a rack set over a baking sheet. Slide the baking sheet into the warm oven to keep the pancakes warm as you cook the rest in batches. Add more oil to the skillet as needed - you don't want to skimp on the oil or the pancakes will not crisp properly.
- Serve the potato pancakes with applesauce or sour cream (or both).