- Combine potatoes and 6 cups oil in heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat until potatoes are fork tender, 12 to 18 minutes, taking care to maintain temperature. Remove potatoes with slotted spoon. Drain on paper towels, reserving the oil. Set aside to cool.
- In mixing bowl, toss pumpkin with cumin, coriander, black pepper, salt, sugar, paprika, cinnamon and remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Bake on sheet pan in preheated 350°F oven until pumpkin is fork tender, 15 to 20 minutes; cool.
- Prepare Orange Aioli: In a saute pan over medium heat, reduce orange juice to 1/4 cup; cool. In small bowl, whisk together egg yolk, lemon juice and mustard; slowly whisk in oil. Add half the reduced orange juice. Thin with water to desired consistency.
Prepare Orange Oil: Transfer remaining reduced orange juice to a bowl and whisk in 1/2 cup reserved oil from cooking potatoes.
- In saute pan over medium heat, slowly render bacon until meaty but not crisp, about 5 minutes. Pour off some of the fat. Add potatoes and pumpkin; season to taste with salt and pepper and heat gently. Remove from heat and stir in 1/3 cup Orange Aioli.
- Divide potato mixture among 4 ring molds that have been placed on serving plates. Press gently to compact then carefully remove molds. Top each with 1 teaspoon Orange Aioli; drizzle 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons Orange Oil around rings. Garnish each with chopped chives and an Idaho® potato gaufrette.