Ham & Cheddar Mashed Potato Waffles with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- 2 cups Idaho® mashed potatoes
- 1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup gluten-free flour blend (all-purpose flour works also)
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped ham
- 2 scallions (dark green parts only), thinly sliced
- cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 cup roasted red peppers (about 2 medium roasted red peppers), sliced
- 2 scallions (light green parts only), thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 tablespoon agave (or any sweetener of choice)
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt, to taste
- In a large bowl, mix mashed potatoes, buttermilk, and eggs. Add flour and a pinch of salt and stir until just incorporated. Fold in cheese, ham, and dark green parts of the scallions. Set aside the rest of the scallions for later.
- Heat a large Belgian waffle maker on medium heat. When the iron is hot, spray it with cooking spray. Add 1 cup of mashed potato mixture onto the waffle iron and spread evenly. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the waffles are golden brown. Repeat for the remaining mixture.
- To make the roasted red pepper sauce, heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add a tablespoon of olive oil and swirl. Add red onions and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until they soften. Add chopped garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in sliced red peppers and remaining scallions and cook for a minute. Add chicken stock and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in agave, oregano and cumin, and turn off the heat. Blend everything until smooth. Adjust seasoning to your taste. Serve sauce with waffles.
Yield: 3 servings (one large waffle each)