Gluten Free Idaho® Potato Pistachio Lemon Cake
The addition of mashed Idaho® potatoes to this gluten-free cake gives it a surprisingly soft texture and keeps it from drying out. The pistachios and fresh lemon juice tie everything together nicely, making it a great cake without being too sweet or over the top.
- 1 large Idaho® russet potato, peeled and diced
- 14 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 large lemons, zested and juiced
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cups almond meal
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- ½ cup chopped pistachios
- fresh whipped cream, for serving
- Place the diced potato in a medium saucepan and fill with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook until fork tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and mash until smooth. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease and flour a 9-inch cast iron skillet, set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar on high until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Stir in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Mix in the vanilla extract, lemon zest, lemon juice, and mashed potatoes. It’ll look curdled but that’s okay. Add the almond meal, baking powder and stir until well combined. Use a rubber spatula to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl. Add the pistachios and fold until evenly incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared skillet and spread out evenly. Bake until set, golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely before cutting and serving. Serve with fresh whipped cream and more chopped pistachios on top.
Time Saving Tip: This is a great recipe to make if you have leftover mashed potatoes from the night before. Just make sure they’re not garlic mashed potatoes or something that will alter the sweetness from the cake!