Filipino Beef Estofado with Idaho® Potatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 32-ounce carton low sodium beef broth, divided
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound lean beef sirloin, cubed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¼ cup water
- 4 cups frozen carrots and peas
- 4 cups frozen Idaho® potatoes O’Brien
- In a medium bowl, whisk together garlic, 1 cup beef broth, brown sugar, soy sauce, bay leaf, and black pepper. Add the beef, stir to combine, cover, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Remove the beef from the marinade, reserving marinade. Discard the bay leaf. Pat the beef dry with paper towels. Brown the beef on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Add the reserved marinade, vinegar and remaining broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cornstarch and water and add to the beef mixture with carrots, peas, and potatoes; increase heat to medium-high and cook 10 minutes or until thickened slightly, stirring frequently.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper before serving.
Yield: 6 servings
Sugar: 2 g
Sodium: 344 mg
Fat: 9 g
Saturated Fat: 3 g
Carbs: 25 g
Fiber: 4 g
Protein: 21 g
Cholesterol: 50 mg