Dos Caminos Carnitas and Idaho® Potato Hash
- 4 pounds pork butt, cut into large cubes
- 8 pounds lard
- 2 tablespoons whole peppercorns
- 10 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup cola
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- salt to taste
- 3 pounds Idaho® Russet potatoes, peeled
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 6 large eggs
- 20 ounces raw beef chorizo
- 12 ounces chopped white onion (approx. 1½ onions)
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup oil or as needed, for frying
- In a large, deep pot, melt lard, add pork and other carnitas ingredients and bring to a simmer. Place in 300-degree oven for 1-2 hours, cooking until tender.
- Remove pot from the oven and remove the cubes of pork. Discard liquid and spices. Return the pork to the pot and heat on the stove to brown the outside of the pork, season with salt to taste. Keep warm.
- Using a box grater or shredding blade of the robot coupe, shred the potatoes. Rinse shredded potatoes until the water is clear. Drain. Place the shredded potatoes onto a clean kitchen towel. Squeeze to remove all excess water.
- Add the shredded potato into a large mixing bowl along with the flour and eggs. Mix well.
- Cook the chorizo in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, breaking any lumps, until it begins to crumble and is cooked through. Add the onions and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the chorizo-onion mixture to the shredded potatoes. Mix to combine.
- Heat about 1/4 inch of oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is sizzling hot, place ¾ cup of the potato mixture for each pancake in separate piles. Cook until nicely browned on the bottom, then flip over and brown on the other side, about 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- Transfer hash browns to a paper-lined plate and drain. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately topped with the carnitas and hot sauce on the side.