Idaho® Potato and Chorizo Tortilla Espanola
- 1 pound Idaho® Russet potatoes, peeled and diced in 1-inch pieces
- 3 cups water (as needed to cook potatoes)
- ¾ pound Spanish-style chorizo sausage, raw, removed from casing*
- ¼ cup yellow onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh garlic, minced
- 3 eggs or ⅔ cups liquid egg whites
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 300° degrees F. In a medium pot, combine Idaho® potatoes and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil until potatoes are fork tender (about 5 minutes). Drain and set aside.
- Using a sauté pan over moderate heat, cook chorizo until done. Add oil to any fat in pan and sauté onions and garlic until soft (about 5 minutes). Set aside to cool.
- In a bowl combine liquid eggs, cooked potatoes, sausage, onions and garlic. Heat a 10-12 inch, non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Pour half of the mixture into the heated pan, evenly making a 1-inch thick potato cake. Cook for 4 minutes on one side, then invert onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper with the cooked side down.
- Bake in a 300° degree F oven for 10-12 minutes or until the potato cakes are set, crispy and uniform in color.
- Serve with fresh tomato wedges and caramelized pickled onions or a fresh green salad.
*If only the cooked deli style chorizo is available, add extra oil as needed in step #2.