Creepy Idaho® Potato Critters: Pink Spider
- 4 cups prepared mashed Idaho® potatoes (your favorite recipe or instant)
- Red liquid food coloring
- Blue liquid food coloring
- 32 fresh string beans
- Various vegetables to decorate (we used sliced black olives, frozen peas, roasted red peppers and scallions)
- In a medium mixing bowl, add red food coloring to the potatoes and stir to combine; add a few drops of blue food coloring to the potatoes and stir again to mix the colors, adding more coloring to achieve the desired shade of pink.
- Using clean, damp hands, form 4 small potato balls (each about 1-inch in diameter); place each small ball on a microwave-safe plate to form the spiders' heads. Form the remaining potatoes into four equal balls; place them on the plates to form the spiders' bodies. Insert 4 green beans into each side of the spider bodies for the legs.
- To finish, decorate each spider with the vegetables of your choice. To achieve our look, make rows of black olive slices along the top and use slivers of roasted red peppers on the sides. Make spots all over the bodies with frozen peas (thawed) and insert trimmed scallions for antennae. Sprinkle the spiders' bodies with coarsely ground black pepper. Reheat the spiders in the microwave and serve.
Nutrition facts assume that potatoes are prepared with water and no added fat.