Layered Potato & Egg Bake
- 1 lb. thick-sliced bacon cut in 2 in. pieces
- 2 lb. fresh potatoes, shredded (about 4 cups). Rinse to remove starch, drain and then dry to remove excess moisture. Using a cotton towel, roll potatoes up in towel and wring extra moisture out; or spin in a salad spinner.
If using dehydrated shredded potatoes, rehydrate to make 2 lbs. or approx 4 cups.
- 1 oz. (1/2 cup) chopped green onions, divided
- 10-12 large hard-cooked eggs, peeled and sliced
- 1-2 teaspoon Mexican or Cajun seasoning
- 12 oz. (3 cups) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Ingredients for Sauce
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 6 tablespoon sour cream, for garnish
- 2 tablespoon chopped chives, for garnish
- Cook bacon until crisp in large pan. Remove and keep warm. Reserve 1/4 cup bacon drippings in pan.
- Cook hash browns with 1/3 cup green onions in drippings until golden brown.
- Heat oven to 375° F. In a spray-coated 10x12x2-inch steam table pan, layer the hash browns, bacon and hard-cooked egg slices. Sprinkle on the seasonings and 2 cups of cheese.
For the sauce:
- Stir and heat melted butter, sour cream, flour and milk in a saucepan until smooth and thickened, about 2 to 3 minutes. Pour over hash brown mixture.
- Sprinkle on remaining cheese and green onions.
- Bake casserole 30 to 35 minutes until browned and bubbly and internal temperature has reached a minimum of 160° F.
- Cut into squares and top each piece with a half tablespoon of sour cream and 1/2 teaspoon chives. Serve immediately.