Idaho® Potato Panzanella
- 2 pounds Idaho® russet potatoes (4 medium potatoes), peeled, cut in 3/4-inch cubes
- Vegetable oil as needed for deep frying
- 3 pounds mixed heirloom tomatoes, cored, cut in 3/4-inch wedges
- 1 rib celery, finely diced
- 1 large shallot, finely sliced
- 1/3 cup pitted and sliced kalamata olives
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, chopped
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Wash cubed potatoes in three successive rinses of cold water to remove starch. Pat dry with paper towel.
- Deep-fry potato cubes in 370°F oil until light gold and tender, about 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Combine tomatoes, celery, shallot, olives, olive oil, vinegar, basil, chives, salt and pepper. Let sit at room temperature at least 15 minutes, but no more than 60 minutes, to develop flavors.
- Just before service, re-fry potato cubes in 370°F oil until golden brown and crispy, about 1 minute. Drain on paper towels. Salt lightly to taste. Toss warm potato cubes with tomato mixture.
- Serve immediately, about 1 cup per portion.
Yield: 8 small plate servings