Creepy Idaho® Potato Critters: Orange Caterpillar
- 4 cups prepared mashed Idaho® potatoes (your favorite recipe or instant)
- Yellow liquid food coloring
- Red liquid food coloring
- 1 lb. Bag frozen, cut string beans (thawed; will only use partial bag)
- Various vegetables to decorate (we used chives, diced carrots, peas, celery)
- In a medium mixing bowl, add yellow food coloring to the potatoes and stir to combine; add a few drops of red food coloring to the potatoes and stir again to mix the colors, adding more red coloring to achieve the desired shade of orange.
- Using clean, damp hands, form the potatoes into 32 small balls (each about 1 1/2-inches in diameter). On each of 4 microwave-safe plates, arrange 8 potato balls, side-by-side and overlapping each other slightly, to form curved caterpillar bodies. Insert green beans for legs on the sides of the caterpillar bodies.
- To finish, decorate each caterpillar with additional vegetables of your choice. To achieve our look, make stripes down the back of the bodies with thawed frozen carrot cubes, chives snipped to 1/2-inch lengths, thawed frozen peas for eyes and a slice of celery for a smile. Reheat the caterpillars in the microwave and serve.