Crab and Idaho® Potato Pierogies
- 2 1/2 pounds Idaho® potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 12 ounces lump crab meat
- 2 cups flour (may need more)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm water
- ¼ cup corn oil
- 1 large egg, scrambled
Lemon infused butter
- lemon, zested
- 1/2 cup clarified butter
- Boil the potatoes until done, drain and mash with butter. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the onions. Stir the cheese and onions into the potato mixture. Mix well.
- Chill until very cold. Mix flour and salt in large bowl. Make a well in the middle.
- Pour water and oil into the well. Mix together.
- Add more flour, 1/2 cup at a time until dough is firm. Knead dough until mixture does not stick to hands. Cover tightly and let stand for 1/2 hour in a warm place.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-inch thickness and cut in 3-inch diameter circles.
- Add 1 teaspoon of potato filling and 1 ounce of crab meat.
- Brush the edges of the dough with egg wash, fold over 1 half of circle, and press the edges together to seal.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and then add pierogies. Stir occasionally so pierogies won't stick to the bottom. When pierogies rise to the top, add 1 cup cold water to stop the cooking.
- Remove the pierogies with a slotted spoon. Pierogies will cook in 3 to 4 minutes.
- Serve with lemon infused butter, a spritz of lemon and garnish with parsley.
- Note: These pierogies are best served after being seared in a hot sauté pan with either clarified butter or olive oil.
- In a small sauce pot heat the butter to 160 degrees over medium heat add the lemon zest and continue to hold at 160 degrees to allow the lemon oils to flavor the butter.
- Reserve the rest of the lemon to spritz the perogies.