Chef David Vaughan's Veggie Chili
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 2 large onions
- 1/2 stalk celery, medium dice
- 4 large Idaho® potatoes, medium dice
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- 2 green bell peppers, medium dice
- 2 red bell peppers, medium dice
- 2 orange bell peppers, medium dice
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 quart water
- 1 quart V8
- 1 quart tomato sauce (1 28 ounce can)
- 1 can (16 ounces) white beans (drained)
- 1 can (16 ounces) pinto beans (drained)
- Mix butter, diced carrots, diced onions, diced celery and diced potatoes; sauté for 8-12 minutes.
- Add cumin, chili powder and cayenne pepper; continue to cook 3-5 minutes to bring out the spice.
- Add tomato paste, diced bell peppers and diced tomatoes; simmer about 8 minutes, stirring often.
- Mix water, V8, tomato sauce and beans in a large cooking pot; rinse tomato sauce can out with water and dump into the pot.
- Mix in sautéed vegetables and cook for 45 minutes to an hour until vegetables are done.
- Add salt and pepper to taste; thicken with starch if desired.