Crispy Skillet Idaho® Potato Cake
- 7 medium Idaho Potatoes (3 1/2 pounds), scrubbed
- 6 ounces Jarlsberg Lite Cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon powered cumin
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4.5 ounce can chopped green chilies, drained
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup canned vegetable, chicken or beef broth
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 425° F. In small mixing bowl, combine cheese and cumin; set aside. Slice 3 of the potatoes very thin (less than 1/8 inch thick), by hand or using a slicer.
- In a 10-inch cast iron or other oven-proof skillet, over medium heat, heat olive oil and add garlic, swirling to coat bottom and sides of pan. Keeping pan on heat, layer sliced potatoes starting in center and continuing up sides. Working quickly, season each layer with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Sprinkle potato layers in pan with half the cheese and half the chilies. Quickly slice two more potatoes (keeping pan on heat), layering them in pan with salt and pepper. Top with remaining cheese and chilies. Again, quickly slice two more potatoes and layer slices on top. Pour broth over all in skillet and spray top of potatoes lightly with cooking spray.
- Place 9-inch cake pan on top of potatoes and fill pan with pie weights or dry beans to weight potato cake. Bake approximately 1 hour or until potatoes are tender. Run a metal spatula around edge of potatoes to loosen cake. Invert cake onto a serving platter and carefully lift off skillet. (If any pieces are stuck to skillet, loosen with spatula and replace on cake.) If desired, garnish with fresh watercress leaves or extra shredded cheese. Cut into wedges and serve.