Celery Root Idaho® Potato Pancakes
- 2 small Idaho® Potatoes (about 3/4 pounds total), peeled
- 1 small onion
- 1 medium celery root (about 1 1/4 pounds), peeled
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Line 2 wire racks with paper towels.
- Using the large holes of a box grater or the shredding disk of a food processor, grate the potatoes and onion. Working over a small bowl, squeeze the liquid out of the potato and onion and transfer the grated vegetables to a medium bowl. Let the liquid stand for 1 minute, then pour it off, leaving the potato starch at the bottom. Scrape the starch into the potato shreds.
- Grate the celery root and add it to the potatoes along with the eggs, flour and salt.
- In each of 2 large nonstick skillets, heat 1/4 inch of oil until shimmering. For each pancake, add a scant 1/4-cup of the batter to a skillet and flatten slightly; you should be able to fit 8 pancakes in each skillet. Cook the pancakes over moderately high heat until golden and crisp, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to the prepared wire racks to drain.
Yield: 4 servings
Sodium: 904 mg
Fat: 16 g
Protein: 7 g
Cholesterol: 106 mg