Idaho® Potato Chicken Pot Pie
- 2 small Idaho® potatoes
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- pinch of kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 4 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup cooked bacon, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 5 to 6 tablespoons ice water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pound chicken breast cutlets, diced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 leeks, sliced and cleaned
- 2 medium Idaho® potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups frozen peas
- ½ cup half and half
- 1 egg, whisked with splash of water
- To make the crust, cook the potatoes in the oven, or on the stove top in boiling water, or in the microwave until almost fork tender (not all the way). Allow to cool completely. Carefully peel the potatoes with a knife and shred with a box grater. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt. Cut in the butter and shortening with a pastry blender, a potato masher, two knives or your hands, until it resembles coarse crumbs the size of peas. Fold in the grated potatoes, shredded cheese, crumbled bacon and chives. Add the ice water, a tablespoon at a time, mixing with a rubber spatula by hand until the dough comes together. It should be moist, but not too wet. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and allow to chill in the fridge for about 1 hour or overnight.*
- To make the filling, preheat oven to 350° F. Set a large pot over medium-high heat and add in the olive oil. Once hot, add the diced chicken to the skillet. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon black pepper and cook until browned and crispy, about 7 to 10 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook for about 3 minutes until soft and translucent. Add in the diced carrots, celery, leeks, potatoes, pinch of salt and pepper, and the chopped fresh thyme. Stir to evenly combine and allow to cook for another 5 minutes to soften. Make a well in the center of the pot and add in the butter, allow to melt completely. Stir in the flour and cook for about 30 seconds. Slowly stream in the chicken stock while stirring. Lower the heat slightly and bring to a boil. Season with remaining salt and pepper, and cook until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the peas and half and half. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured work surface roll out the baked potato dough until half of an inch thick. Pour the chicken pot pie filling into a large 9x13 inch baking dish or into 6 individual ramekins. If using ramekins, cut the dough into rounds to cover each individually. If using 9x13-inch baking dish, just place the entire rolled dough over the filling. Brush with egg wash and place on baking sheet to catch any drips.
- Bake for about 30 to 35 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly. Serve and enjoy!
Time Saving Tip: Make the Baked Idaho® Potato Pie Crust a couple days before making the pot pie itself. It can be wrapped in plastic and placed in the freezer for longer storage. Just thaw in refrigerator overnight. If making one or two days in advance, just store in the fridge.
Yield: 4-6 Servings