Sonoran Breakfast Empanadas
- 2 pounds chorizo sausage
- 16 ounces whole eggs w/citric acid
- 2 sprays (1 sec.) cooking spray
- 1 pound Idaho® potatoes, pre-peeled, fresh, shredded
- 8 ounces green chili peppers, diced, drained
- 12 ounces mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 puff pastry sheets, frozen
- 3 ounces wash for pies
- Cook chorizo thoroughly and drain the liquid entirely from the sausage. Chill to 40°F.
- Scramble eggs on a non-stick cooking surface and cook thoroughly. Remove eggs and chill to 40°F.
- In a mixing bowl, add the chilled sausage and eggs. Add the defrosted breakfast potatoes, diced green chilies and cheddar cheese.
- Defrost the puff pastry sheets. Cut the puff pastry sheet into 15 each equal squares.
- Fill each square with the egg filling. Fold over one half of the puff pastry to form a triangle. Seal the empanada using a fork. Brush each empanada with egg wash and place on sheet pan lined with parchment paper and bake at 375°F until product is golden brown.
- Remove the product from the pan and place on serving vessel. Hold hot for service; can be served with a variety of sauces or dips such as Strawberry Jalapeno Jam.