Savory Roasted Garlic and Idaho® Potato Beer Cheese Scones
These savory scones are wonderful as a breakfast treat. There are roasted fingerling potatoes baked right into the scones, but if you want another side of hash browns, we say go for it!
- 1 head garlic
- 10 ounces Idaho® fingerling potatoes, cleaned
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into ¼” pieces
- 8 ounces blue cheese crumbles
- ½ cup lager beer
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 500°F.
- Trim about ¼” off of the top of the head of garlic to expose the cloves.
- Place garlic and potatoes on a baking sheet and drizzle with oil. Wrap garlic in aluminum foil.
- Roast for 20 minutes or until a toothpick easily goes through a potato. Transfer potatoes to a cooling rack.
- Return the garlic to the oven and roast for another 10 minutes. Remove garlic from the oven and reduce oven temperature to 400 F.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper.
- Use your hands to mix in the butter, continuing to mix until the butter is in pea-sized pieces.
- Mix in the blue cheese until just combined.
- Smash 6 of the garlic cloves and mix them into the dough (save any remaining cloves for other recipes).
- In a small bowl, whisk together beer, milk, and eggs.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until the mixture comes together as a sticky dough.
- Cut the fingerling potatoes in half and fold them into the batter.
- Drop ½ cup mounds of batter onto parchment- or silicone mat-lined baking sheets spaced two inches apart from each other.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over unbaked scones.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until scones are golden brown. Serve within two days.