Vegan Garlic Rosemary Scalloped Idaho® Potatoes
- 6 medium to large Idaho® potatoes, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 tablespoons fresh rosemary
- 1/3 cup vegan butter or non-dairy margarine
- 1 teaspoon garlic, crushed
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour (gluten free, if desired)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- (Optional) 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In two shallow, well-greased 2-quart casserole dishes, start with a single layer of potatoes, sprinkle with salt, pepper, diced onions and rosemary before beginning the next layer of potatoes. Continue layering potatoes and onion-rosemary mixture until all potatoes have been used.
- In a saucepan, melt vegan butter over medium heat, add garlic and sauté. Add flour to the melted butter and garlic, and stir until well-blended. Whisk in vegetable stock and add nutritional yeast if using. Continue to stir constantly over medium heat until the mixture starts to boil and thicken. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Pour sauce over potatoes in casserole.
- Bake covered for about 45 minutes, uncover and bake an additional 35 minutes until tender and golden brown.
Yield: 8 servings