Pork, Idaho® Potato and Anaheim Chili Pepper Stew
- 3 pounds boneless pork loin, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 8 Anaheim chili peppers, chopped
- 6 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14.5-ounce each) stewed tomatoes
- 2 pounds Idaho® potatoes, peeled and cut in 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2/3 cup chopped cilantro
- Coat a 6 1/2-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat until hot. Add one third of the pork and cook until beginning to brown on edges, stirring occasionally. Place in slow cooker and repeat process two times.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil over medium high heat until hot, cook the onions and peppers 4 minutes or until onions are translucent, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook 15 seconds, stirring constantly. Add to the pork with the tomatoes, potatoes, broth, sugar, and 1 teaspoon of the cumin.
- Cover and cook on HIGH setting 5 hours or until pork is tender. Stir in the remaining oil, cumin, and salt. Serve topped with cilantro.
Yield: 10 (1 1/2 cups stew per serving)
Sodium: 700 mg
Fat: 7 g
Fiber: 3 g
Protein: 35 g
Cholesterol: 85 mg