Cajun-style Potato Salad
- 3 lbs Idaho® Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1" dice
- 1 1/2 cups diced chicken or turkey Andouille sausage
- olive oil
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Creole mustard
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- A couple shakes of your favorite hot sauce (optional)
- A few tablespoons of heavy cream
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 bunch scallions, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- Chopped flat-leaf parsley (optional)
- Cook potatoes in boiling, salted water until tender, about 8-10 minutes. Drain well in a colander and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Heat a small sauté pan and add a teaspoon or so of olive oil. Cook sausage, stirring frequently until it begins to brown on the edges. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- In a medium bowl, stir together mayonnaise, Creole mustard, Cajun seasoning, and optional hot sauce until well blended. If the sauce seems a little thick, add a few tablespoons of cream and stir well.
- When potatoes are cool, place them in a large bowl and add cooked andouille sausage and all of the vegetables. Fold in mayonnaise mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Before serving, refrigerate salad for an hour or two to allow flavors to marry. Makes about 2 quarts of potato salad.