Beef Stew with Guinness Extra Stout
The marrow of beef shank, caramelized onion, and Guinness Extra Stout instead of broth imparts deep flavor to this hearty, comforting stew.
- For the mashed potatoes:
- 1 1/2 pounds Idaho® Yellow potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup low-fat milk
- 1/3 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash garlic herb seasoning
- For the stew:
- 1 pound beef shank, with bone and marrow
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pint Guinness Extra Stout
- 1 15 ounce can diced no-salt-added tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste*
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups mashed Idaho® potatoes *
- Place potatoes in a large 6 qt. pot with enough water to cover the potatoes (6-8 cups of water depending on the size of your pot. Heat over high heat until water boils - cook for 15-20 minutes until potatoes can be pierced with a fork. Do not overcook. Remove from heat and drain.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher. Add the butter, milk, sour cream, and seasoning and mix into the potatoes. Using a fork to achieve a finer texture, mash the potatoes in a circular motion until they're a little smoother, but still chunky. Do not "over work" them or they will become gummy.
- Heat large heavy pot over medium heat - I use my trusty Lodge cast iron Dutch Oven for stews, just as my mother did. Cook the onions in 1 tablespoon olive oil until browned, remove from pot and set aside.
- Sprinkle both sides of beef shank with salt and pepper (use only pepper for low-sodium diets). Add another tablespoon of olive oil and brown the beef on both sides. Remove from pot and cut into several pieces - allows for quicker fall-apart tender results.
- Return beef, including the bone and marrow to the pot. Add Guinness, tomatoes, onions, carrots, cinnamon, and bay leaf to pot. Cover and simmer on low for 3-4 hours until beef is to desired tenderness. Alternatively, you may transfer to a slow cooker and cook 8 hours or so on Low.
- While stew is cooking, peel and boil the potatoes for mashed potatoes. Prepare your favorite mashed potatoes.
- Prepare frozen peas according to package directions. Add to stew.
- Preheat oven to broil.
- To serve, spoon stew into oven-proof bowls, top with mashed potatoes, drizzle with a little butter, and place under the oven broiler for a minute to brown. Watch carefully to avoid burning. Serve immediately.