Potato and Root Vegetable Gratin
- Extra-virgin olive oil as needed
- 1 1/2 lbs. (750 g) large rutabaga, peeled and thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 5 potatoes (1.5 kg), peeled and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 cup (250 mL) vidalia onion, shaved
- 1 lb. (500 g) large parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 oz. (125 g) Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) fresh herbs, chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Rub bottom of 8 1/2˝x12˝ baking pan with olive oil. Shingle half the rutabaga slices to cover bottom of pan, overlapping slices no more than 1/2". Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Shingle 1/5 of potato slices over rutabaga; season lightly with salt and pepper. Pat or mist lightly with oil.
- Spread half the onions evenly over potatoes. Layer half the parsnip slices over onions; follow with another layer of potato slices. Pat or mist lightly with oil; season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Spread potatoes with 4 oz. duck prosciutto; sprinkle with 2 oz. Pecorino Romano. Repeat layering and seasoning with rutabaga, potato, onion, parsnips, potato, duck, cheese, and final layer of potato. Pat or mist lightly with oil; season with salt and pepper.
- Cover pan tightly with foil. Bake 45 - 50 minutes.
- Remove cover; pat or mist lightly with oil; sprinkle with herbs.
- Bake, uncovered, until top layer is lightly brown, 15 - 20 minutes.
- Allow to set 10 - 15 minutes.
- Slice and serve.
For a non-vegetarian version, add 8 ounces of finely shaved duck or ham prosciutto after each layer.