Pan-Seared Halibut with Rock Shrimp Hash & Basil Mashed Idaho® Potatoes
- 3 ounces olive oil, plus as needed
- 6 each Alaskan halibut, fresh, 6-ounce portions
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ounces applewood-smoked bacon, 1/2-inch dice
- 2 ounces Vidalia onions, 1/4-inch dice
- 2 ounces red bell peppers, 1/4-inch dice
- 2 ounces yellow bell peppers, 1/4-inch dice
- 6 ounces Idaho® Fingerling potatoes, blanched, 1/4-inch dice
- 4 ounces corn kernels, white, fresh
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 6 ounces rock shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 1 ounce fish stock (or chicken broth)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 12 ounces Basil Mashed Idaho® Potatoes
- 12 ounces tomato-butter fondue
- 1 tablespoon chives, finely chopped
Basil Mashed Idaho® potatoes
- 1 cup Idaho® Russet potatoes, mashed, warm
- 1 tablespoon prepared basil pesto
Tomato butter fondue
- 1 cup tomato sauce, seasoned with garlic and herbs
- 1/2 cup chicken or fish stock
- 4 ounces butter
- Heat olive oil into large sauté pan over medium high heat. Carefully place halibut portions in pan and cook for 2 minutes, or until fish are lightly caramelized. Place pan into an oven heated to 350 degrees F and continue cooking for 8 to 10 more minutes, or until fish is done.
- While fish is cooking, heat a little more olive oil in a separate sauté pan. Place bacon in pan and cook until bacon is half done. Add onions and peppers to pan and continue to cook until all ingredients are cooked through.
- Add potatoes, corn, and garlic to pan and continue to cook until bacon is crispy. Add rock shrimp to pan. Season all ingredients with salt and pepper. Continue to cook ingredients until shrimp are done and all vegetables are tender and thoroughly heated through. Add fish stock and butter to pan. Gently stir ingredients together until evenly combined.
- Place 2 ounces of basil-mashed potatoes onto center of each serving dish. Ladle 2 ounces of tomato-butter fondue onto each serving plate and around basil-mashed potatoes. Place halibut portions on top of basil-mashed potatoes. Spoon equal amounts of rock shrimp and potato hash over each piece of halibut. Garnish each plate with sprinkle of freshly chopped chives.
- Combine mashed potatoes and pesto, reserve, warm
- Blend tomato sauce and stock in a blender, then transfer to a pan and heat through. Stir in chunks of butter and incorporate into sauce. Reserve sauce, warm