Idaho® Potato Crusted Sea Bass with Grilled Leek-Fennel Compote
- Crusted Black Sea Bass
- 6 Black Sea Bass, 4 oz each
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 Eggs, slightly beaten
- 3 Idaho Potatoes
- 2 T Olive Oil
- Grilled Fennel-Leek Compote
- 6 Leeks, cleaned and slit in half
- 2 Fennel Bulbs, cleaned and sliced
- 2 T Olive Oil
- 2 Large Shallots, diced
- 1 C White Wine
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 4 Sprigs of Thyme
- 1 Qt Heavy Cream
- 2 T Orange Marmalade
- 1 tsp Salt
- To Taste Fresh-Ground White Pepper
- Clean, rinse and pat fillets dry.
- Season with salt and pepper, dust in flour and dredge in egg wash.
- Slice potatoes paper thin, then use a round 5/8-inch cutter. Do not rinse potato rounds.
- Starting from tail end moving forward, place potato rounds in rows horizontally, progressing vertically, resembling fish scales.
- Heat a sauté pan until olive oil is hot, then carefully place fillets with the potato side down into the hot oil.
- Sauté until golden brown; carefully turn fillets over to finish cooking.
- Reserve for service.
- Brush leek and fennel with olive oil and place on hot grill.
- Char evenly and remove.
- Let cool and julienne.
- In a hot sauté pan, add 1 teaspoon of olive oil and sauté shallots, leeks and fennel for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add white wine, bay leaves and thyme sprigs.
- Reduce wine by ¾ and add heavy cream.
- Reduce until mixture becomes thick.
- Add marmalade, salt and pepper.
- Remove bay leaves and thyme sprigs and reserve.
- Keep warm.
- To Plate
- Place 3 ounces of Leek-Fennel Compote in the center of a warm plate.
- Place Potato-Crusted Black Sea Bass on top.
- Surround with a seasoned fresh vegetable medley and prepared saffron Idaho Potatoes.
- Serve immediately.
Yield: 6 Servings
Bacara Resort & Spa
Santa Barbara, CA