Creepy Crawly Idaho® Potatoes
- 17 small new Idaho® potatoes, about 2 ounces each, halved crosswise
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ cup herbed light cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons fat-free milk
- 6 ounces finely shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese (1½ cups)
- ½ cup bacon bits
- 2 pecan halves
- 2 ripe olive slices
- ½ of a 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium green onion
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place 16 of the potatoes in a large bowl. Set the remaining potato aside for garnish. Drizzle with the oil and sprinkle with the paprika and toss until well coated. Place on a large foil-lined baking sheet, cut side down in a single layer and bake 18 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork. Remove from the oven and cool completely on the baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cream cheese and milk. Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly over the skin of each potato. Using the foil as a work surface, place the potatoes cut side down on the foil. Sprinkle each evenly with the cheese and top with the bacon.
- Assembly Directions:
- Arrange all the baked potato halves, except two, on a wooden cutting board or a large serving platter to create a curved "s" shape. Place the remaining two potatoes side by side at one end of the curve to form the "head".
- Arrange the pecan halves on top to form the "ears" and the olives in the center to form the "eyes". Place two black beans in the center of each olive.
- Cut 3 inches off the green portion of the onions and cut in thin strips to form "whiskers". Place under the head.
- Arrange the beans along both sides of the curve to create "feet". Cut thin strips into the remaining portion of the green onion for the "tail" and secure with a toothpick into the other end of the curve. Cut a wedge from the uncooked potato for the "nose."
Yield: 32 potato halves; 4 potato halves per serving
Sugar: 2 g
Sodium: 420 mg
Fat: 11 g
Fiber: 4 g
Protein: 13 g
Cholesterol: 20 mg