Gruyere, Apple and Idaho® Potato Au Gratin
- 8 large Idaho® Russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 Granny smith apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 6-8 cloves garlic, peeled & chopped
- 4-6 shallots, peeled & chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh marjoram leaves, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds Gruyere (or other good cooking swiss cheese), grated
- 3 pints heavy cream
- Salt, white pepper & nutmeg to taste
- In a large casserole dish* place a single overlapping layer of russet potatoes and then apples, sprinkle lightly with salt, pepper, nutmeg, marjoram, garlic, shallots and cheese. Continue this layering process until the casserole is full or your final layer finishes with the potatoes and cheese topping. Slowly pour the heavy cream over the dish, letting the cream fill the dish and come up over the top of the final layer of potatoes. You may want to press down gently on the top of the potatoes to make sure the final layer is submersed without being soupy.
- Cover with foil and bake at 375° for 45 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender. Uncover and bake an additional 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.