Spicy Idaho® Potato and Chestnut Casserole
- Pam (vegetable shortening spray) as needed
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 ancho chiles, stems removed, torn in 1/2" pieces
- 3 large Idaho® potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 leeks, white part only, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup roasted chestnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup grated, aged Monterey Jack cheese (can substitute Asiago or Parmigiano-Reggiano)
- chives, snipped (optional)
- Lightly spray a 9 by 12-inch oven proof casserole dish. In a small saucepan, heat the milk and maple syrup. Remove from heat, add the garlic and chiles, and steep for 30 minutes. Puree misture in a blender.
- Lay about 1/3 of the potato slices in one layer in the casserole dish, overlapping slightly. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Ladle 1/3 of the milk mixture over the potatoes. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the leeks and 1/3 of the chestnuts, then top with 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat 2 more times.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 20 minutes or until brown and bubbly. Allow to sit for another 20 minutes before cutting in squares or spooning out of casserole. Sprinkle with chives and serve.