Dungeness Crab & Artichoke Potato Tapas Served with Mascarpone Fonduta
- Dungeness Crab & Artichoke Potato Tapas
- 2 1/2 lbs Idaho® Russet potatoes, peeled, cut into ¾ inch dice
- 1 cup artichoke hearts canned, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup fresh spinach, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh roasted red pepper, small diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 lb Fontina cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Asiago cheese, shredded
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 lb Dungeness crabmeat, drained well
- 12 Eggs, lightly whipped
Seasoned Bread Crumbs
- 1 1/2 lb fine bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper, ground
- 48 each Red Belgium endive leaves
Mascarpone Fonduta Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 quart whipping cream
- 1 lb Mascarpone cheese softened
- 2 cups Pecorino Romano cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Fontina cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest, finely grated
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1 cup fresh chives, thinly sliced
- Place the diced Idaho® potatoes into a large pot of salted cold water. Bring to a boil and simmer for approximately 10-12 minutes or until tender.
- Drain into a colander. Place the potatoes onto a parchment lined baking tray and cool in the refrigerator.
- After the potatoes are chilled, place into a large mixing bowl and coarsely mash. Add the artichoke hearts, vegetables, herbs, seasonings, cheeses and egg yolks. Gently mix to incorporate the ingredients.
- Add the Dungeness crabmeat to the potato mixture. Stir the mixture with a wooden spoon to lightly combine, taking care not to break up the crabmeat.
- Using a #40 size scoop portion the Potato Tapas mixture into 72 golf ball size portions. Place onto a parchment lined tray.
- Lightly coat each Potato Tapas with the beaten egg and gently coat in the seasoned bread crumbs.
- To Serve: In batches of 6, deep fry the Potato Tapas in 350⁰F oil for approximately 4 minutes or until golden and thoroughly heated internally. Remove from the deep fryer and place onto an absorbent paper lined tray. In the center of 12 decorative serving platters place a small bowl of the Mascarpone Fonduta. Arrange 6 Potato Tapas around each bowl of Fonduta sauce. Garnish each platter with 4 Red Belgium Endive Leaves. Serve immediately. Bon appetite!
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a heavy bottomed pot. Add the shallots and garlic to a pot and cook for approximately 3-4 minutes stirring frequently with a wooden spoon. Add the thyme to the pot and cook for an additional minute.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the remaining ingredients except the chives. Simmer for 6-8 minutes stirring frequently with a whisk until the sauce is thickened and smooth.
- Stir in the fresh chives. Hold until needed in a double boiler.