Curried Idaho® Potato Pot Stickers
These Curried Idaho® Potato Pot Stickers are like a cross between a samosa and a dumpling! Forget takeout and make these at home!
- 1 pound Idaho® Russet potatoes, peeled and diced to 1-inch chunks
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ⅓ cups diced yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¾ cup diced red bell pepper (about 1/2 medium pepper)
- ¾ cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 2 stalks of scallions (green onion), minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons curry powder
- around 50 pot sticker or dumpling wrappers
- Boil potatoes in a pot with a generous pinch of salt. Cook until potatoes are easily pierced with a fork. Drain water and mash potatoes. Set aside to cool.
- Heat a small pan with 1 ½ tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook for about 2 minutes. Add ginger, garlic and a pinch of salt, and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Mix in diced red pepper and cook for 2 minutes. Add peas and scallions and cook for 1 minute. Turn off heat.
- Mix mashed potatoes, curry powder and vegetables. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.
- Fill a small bowl with water. You'll use this to help seal the pot stickers.
- Dip wrapper into water, about ¼ to ½ inch deep. Circle wrapper around so that the edges are moist. Lay wrapper on your left hand, wet side away from you. Add about a spoonful of filling. Using your right hand, start sealing dumpling by pinching wrapper together. Using your index fingers, pinch moistened side into a pleat and press down to seal. Continue until the entire dumpling is pleated and sealed.
- To cook them, heat a large sauté pan with a tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, line the pot stickers in the pan, bottom side down. Have the lid of your pan ready for the next step. Let the pot stickers fry for about a minute, then pour about 1/4 cup of water in the pan. The oil will start splattering, so cover pan immediately with the lid. Cook for about 5 minutes. The key here is to make sure that your wrapper fully cooks. Uncover lid and cook for another minute, until the bottom of the dumplings are a deep golden brown.
- Plate and serve pot stickers with your favorite dipping sauce.
Yield: 50 pot stickers