Crisp Idaho®Potato Cheddar Puffs
- 2 cups Idaho® potatoes, diced large
- 2 ounces milk
- 2 ounces water
- 3 ounces butter
- 4 ounces cake flour
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups panko breading
- Salt, to taste
- In a medium saucepot, bring the milk, butter and water to boil.
- Add the cake flour and stir until the dough pulls away from the sides, approximately two minutes.
- Place the mixer on low speed. Let cool and add one egg. Mix until well incorporated.
- In a separate pot cover the potatoes with cold salted water. Bring the pot to a simmer. Cook the potatoes until tender.
- Push the potatoes through a ricer to make potato puree.
- Add the potato puree to the reserved paste. Stir in the cheese and minced jalapeno.
- Chill the mixture. Scoop into small half-inch balls. Freeze the balls overnight.
- The next day bread the balls in flour, (2) eggs and breadcrumbs.
- Fry the puffs in oil at 375°F until golden brown.
- Season with salt when removed from oil. Let cool and serve.