Crisp Goose-Fat Idaho® Potatoes
- 4 Sprigs of thyme
- 2 Sprigs of rosemary
- 2 Bay leaves
- 3 Large Idaho potatoes, 34-inch dice
- 1 Tbsp Kosher salt
- Herb-Infused Goose-Fat Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup Melted goose or duck fat
- 6 stems Thyme, leaves chopped and reserved
- 2 stems Rosemary, leaves chopped and reserved
- 6 Cloves garlic, cracked
- 1 3/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 3/4 tsp Black pepper, freshly ground
- Garnish Ingredients:
- 5 Cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Parsley, coarsely chopped
- Course sea salt
- Tie the thyme, rosemary and bay leaves together with twine.
- Put the potatoes, herbs and salt into a large pot, and add 8 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat and cook about 10 minutes - the potatoes will hold their shape, but will be tender and almost cooked through.
- Drain well and set aside, discarding the herbs.
- In a small saucepan, add the goose fat, herb stems, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and cook very gently, stirring occasionally.
- After 15 minutes, or if the garlic is browning too quickly, remove the pan from the heat and allow the garlic and herbs to steep until needed.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Strain and reserve the goose fat, discarding the garlic and herbs. Place the potatoes in a mixing bowl, add the reserved chopped herb leaves and 1/3 cup infused goose fat, and stir well. (Some potatoes will break apart; some will hold their shape.) Season with an additional 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Tightly pack the potatoes into a 6-inch-diameter baking dish or skillet. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the crust is golden brown. Let cool to room temperature - about 45 minutes - and refrigerate until ready to use. (To this point, may be prepared day prior.)
- When ready to serve, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Invert the potato cake onto a baking sheet, unmold, and brush with the remaining goose fat. Bake for 40 minutes, basting frequently with the goose fat. Transfer to a serving platter, and sprinkle with sliced garlic, coarse salt and chopped parsley.
SW Steakhouse, Wynn Las Vegas
Las Vegas, NV