Cheesy Chicken and Potato Soup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces and sprinkled with some salt
- ½ cup chopped white onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound Idaho® potatoes, peeled and cubed (roughly 2 large potatoes)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 green onion, chopped
- In a Dutch oven or large pot, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Once hot, add the chicken in a single layer. Cook for 4 minutes then flip and cook until no longer pink in the middle, another 3-5 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a bowl and keep warm.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to any meat drippings left in the pan. Once hot, add onion and carrots. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds. Slowly stir in some of the broth, scraping up any brown bits left on the bottom of the pan, then finish stirring in the rest of the broth. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add the potatoes and salt. Cook until soft, roughly 10-12 minutes. Reserve 1 cup of the potato, carrot, and onion mixture.
- Add half of the soup to a blender then puree for 30 seconds (be very careful as hot liquid expands when blended). Add the rest of the soup then puree until smooth.
- Pour the soup back into the pot and bring to a boil. Stir in the cheese until melted. Stir in the spinach and cook until wilted, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice, reserved potato mixture, and chicken. Garnish with green onion before serving.
Yield: 4 servings